Sunday, September 21, 2008

Shad

When I listen to a rap record and don't hear curses, I know one of two things has happened.

1. Somebody slipped me a copy of "Big Willy Style" again, or

2. I've managed to get my hands on a new gospel rap album.

I really had no idea what I was getting into when I procured the new record by Shad. The Rwandan born, London ON raised Polaris Prize nominated emcee has his new video on Much Music. He does a cute little homage to the Fresh Prince.



My favourite thing about this track is the inventive little piece just before the last verse when the beat breaks down and the producer is like "what's going on?" and Shad is like "Oh, I couldn't afford the whole beat."

The rest of the record is OK. Nothing groundbreaking which makes me wonder if it's me, or Polaris that's losing it's edge. There's something about this "holy hip hop" that makes the beats and lyrics seem more fresh on the first listen, but the sheen wears off after a while.

There's an Eminem influence, as well as a Fresh Prince influence, other than the video.

All in all, it's an OK record, but nothing I would be running around heralding.

word up.

1 comment:

The R.O.B. said...

Nothing new... but its very good. I'd give it another go.