Monday, March 31, 2008

Does anybody say "That's how I Roll" anymore?

Jesse Cox and the Hooch – That’s How we Roll

A few years ago, when I was in the middle of a long distance relationship and a dead-end job at a bookstore, I decided to go back to college. Looking back on it, it was a stupid idea, and I regret it. I mean, education is a great thing, but not for a guy like me. I suck at learning in a structured environment.

Anyhow, there were a few guys in the class that played music, just like me, so we got along straightaway and started jamming every once in a while. That didn’t really last long because college didn’t last long.

After I quit college, I got out of that long-distance relationship (read: I got dumped) and started another dead-end job at an electronics store, and eventually started my own band. One of the guys I was in the band with knew a guy I went to college with, and these guys knew another guy who would eventually start his own band. (What?)

I’m listening to a debut record by a band called “Jesse Cox and the Hooch”. One of the Hooch is that guy that those other two guys know. (What?) He brought me a copy of the CD one night when I got off work. I was trying to eat a burrito, and I kept looking out the window expecting him to show up and interrupt me.

“That’s How we Roll” is a record that pays homage to the bands it’s members are fans off. I hear a lot of classic rock stuff, like Skynyrd, Tom Petty, The Stones, and other radio staples. The shining point of this band has got to be its namesake, Jesse Cox. It’s a very soulful, whiskey-tinged voice. Which is odd, because according to the liner notes, his favorite drink is rum and coke. I’m not a big rum drinker, but I would imagine copious amounts of any hard liquor will rough your throat up pretty good.

If I could change anything about this band, I’d make them a little more ballsy. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and blame some of the lack of balls on the production of this debut. But a lot of it I think has to do with songwriting. Case in point, Sam Beam of Iron & Wine fame, or Japan’s Guitar Wolf. Balls isn’t about sound quality as much as it’s about attitude. There are a lot of spots on this record that could use some really heavy dirty guitar leads, but are filled in by, well, nothing.

All in all, “That’s How we Roll” is a great little record. When I listen to this record, I picture what I think the band wants me to picture. A bonfire at the beach, a whole lot of booze, and hot chicks in bikinis. And for that picture, Jesse Cox and the Hooch, I thank thee. Especially the bikini part.

No comments: