Monday, March 31, 2008

haha... recording company

The Royal Army Recording Company – Mary, Your Ghost is Showing

In the summer of 1998 I convinced somebody to trade a copy of Beck’s Odelay for a pair of sunglasses with yellow lenses. I lost those glasses, and ended up buying Odelay again when I was in college. I have a very good feeling The Royal Army Recording Co. are Beck fans, too. Except they didn’t trade Odelay for a pair of shitty sunglasses.

I’ll be 100% honest here and tell you that I’ve never actually heard “Sea Change” but somebody told me it’s Beck’s country album. If this is true, The Royal Army Recording Co. are fans of that album. Singer K. Tompkins has just enough of his influence in there to be reminiscent, but not enough to be a rip off.

Some people singing voice sounds the best right at the tip of it’s range when they’re giving it shit like it stole its bike. K. seems to shy away from this and play it safe. The melodies are there, and the musicianship is there, but I would consider bringing the key up a half a step or a full step just to strain that voice enough to make sound like ya mean it.

A catchy little ep, “Mary, Your Ghost is Showing” is a great precursor of what’s to come from this Maryland based “community” of musicians. Indie/pop/country-delica. Sweet! I invented a genre!
http://www.myspace.com/theroyalarmyrecordingco

No comments: