Monday, March 31, 2008

Jinder

Jinder – I’m Alive

When I was growing up my Mom listened to a lot of country music. She was a big Willie Nelson fan. She LOVED George Jones, and was also a Kris Kristofferson fan before it was cool to be a Kris Kristofferson fan. So because of that, I listened to a lot of country music as a child. But, just like every kid does, I “rebelled” against my Mom and started listening to rock and roll music. It wasn’t cool to like country music when I was in high school. But when I got older, I discovered a “new” country. Whiskeytown, Wilco, and The Drive by Truckers. Bands who were fans of that outlaw country, but were able to make it just modern enough to catch the ears of indie hipsters everywhere.

Jinder’s Mom and mine probably have a lot in common because if I were to write some sad bastard country influenced music, this is the record I would have written. Chock of full of sippin’ whiskey pity songs, “I’m Alive” is what to listen to if you’re reminiscing about your younger years. (Which is exactly what I did a couple of times with the record)

It’s the mundane in life that makes life so important. Beat up guitars, traveling, cheap wine, and your heroes are all the things that make the world go around. With songs about each of these (see “Travellin’ Song”, “Townes Blues” and “Train in Your Voice”) Jinder has made a record about his life, and subsequently about yours, and mine too. And keep an ear out for an homage fellow Brits “MYE” on the traditional track Jinder arranged for this record.

Now that I’ve been over all the good of this album, there is a slight hint of bad. While his slow, and sad bastard traveling songs kick more than the llama’s ass, his upbeat numbers sometimes sound a bit corny, or cheesy. But considering there are really only two songs on the record that fall into that category, we’re still at a batting average well above the major league average.

When you’re reviewing records, some of what lands in your mailbox isn’t very good, and a lot of the time it’s a record that you listen to for the review and throw it in the pile. “I’m Alive” doesn’t fall into that category. This is a record that is on my top 10 list for 2006. This is a record I’ll listen to again. Often. Go buy this.

www.myspace.com/jinder

No comments: