Monday, March 31, 2008

harps, bitches

Flotilla – Disaster Poetry

At one point in my life I used to wish I were Rob Gordon. Do you remember him? He was character John Cusack played in High Fidelity. I identified with this character so much that I thought I could do no wrong, and I was justified in my actions because Rob Gordon did the same thing. I worked at a record shop. I was going through a nasty break up. I failed out of college. I called that girl every night for months hoping she would not break up with me until she eventually just did it. But it was ok for me to do that, and to call her and get mad at her, because Rob Gordon did that to Laura.

Enough of that, though. One of the best things about High Fidelity, other than Lisa Bonet, was the soundtrack. There were two bands that I was REALLY introduced to from that record. The Beta Band (Who’s this? The Beta Band. They’re Good! I know) and Stereolab (Rob, phones for you. Take a message. It’s your GIRLFRIEND!)

I bought the Beta Bands “3 EP’s” and I was terribly disappointed. So when it came time to get into Stereolab, I balked. I downloaded “Emperor Tomato Ketchup”. It fucking ruled.

This review has nothing to do with either of these bands. It has to do with a Montreal band called Flotilla. The reason I mention these other two is cause I’m long winded, and Flotilla reminds me of Stereolab. The same sort of awkward melodies, the beautiful high-pitched voice of a French girl. At least, I think Veronica Charnley is French. It doesn’t matter, cause she sounds like Laetitia Sadier, and that rules.

Some more things that rule about Flotilla are as follows:

1. They have a harp.
2. Their bass player Geof is a classical music composer.
3. If you play your cards right, you can get laid while this record is on. It’s very sexy.

It’s a good record. It’s a cute record. The harp is noticeable, but not overbearing like some bands with weird instruments tend to do. It’s tasteful. There’s a pretty good chance if you don’t like this record, you have bad taste in music. Or you’re a metal head. They pretty much mean the same thing though, don’t they?

www.flotilla.ca
http://www.myspace.com/flotillamontreal

No comments: