Monday, March 31, 2008

Joseph Edgar

Joseph Edgar – Oh Ma Ma

When I first moved to Moncton, all I knew about the music scene was The Monoxides and Eric’s Trip/Elevator to Hell/Elevator/Elevator Through etc. Then after a while of being here, I started stepping out every once in a while to different shows and jam nights and whatnot. This was my first introduction to the real Moncton music scene.

A few people I met along the way introduced me to the different aspects of this scene. I met the hippy jammers, the metal heads, and a few punk rockers. I also met a few great singer/songwriters. One of the first of those artists I heard of and met through mutual acquaintances was Marc “Joseph Edgar” Poirier (pronounced pouArier). Marc is a singer/songwriter in the style of “proper” singer songwriters, (see: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc.) except, you know… French. He’s a scene veteran having played with “Zero Degrees Celsius” and done the solo thing for a while.

Listening to a record in a foreign language is hard on some people. You feel a bit out of the loop. You want to understand what the singer is going on about, but at the same time you ask yourself “is it really worth learning a new language just for this?”

If you want to know the answer, in short, it’s yes. If you’re listening to “Oh Ma Ma” that is. This is a great record. If this album were English, it would be all over the goddamned place. Brilliant songwriting by PouArier, a great back up band in Moncton “French-Jam-Rock” mainstays Les Paiens, and great production by Chops make this a disc worth picking up and a disc worth listening to repeatedly.

www.myspace.com/josephedgar

No comments: